Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Johnna, the chicken-chasin' mama

Since I gave Mary a new name, I felt it was only fair that I got a new name too. Yes, I did actually chase chickens. Each day, they bring lunch out to us where we are working with the child mothers. It is a 40 minute ride from the hotel down a very narrow dirt road. When lunch is done, the chickens sometimes come in and eat the leftover pieces of rice laying on the floor. They share pretty well with the dogs and an occasional small child.

But a couple of times there are too many or they get a little close to the children and become a bit of a distraction. So, up I get and head towards them. We all wear long skirts that are rather billowy. They make a great chicken chasing outfit. I just grab the sides of my skirt and head their way. There is an art to this, I must say. You must position yourself just right between the chicken and the people and scoot right and left as I shoo the errant birds towards the door. The dogs seem to understand pointing. Today there were three chickens at one time. Evidently my skills were appreciated because I got applause.

I know I am writing a lot each night but so much happens that I want to share. But in rereading the blogs, I see that I have left out a lot of ministry happenings. Many of these events were able to happen due to the generosity of you who sent us. We have been able to purchase calabash drums, sticks, and leg bells for four of the camps. These are used by the children when they dance and sing like they did for us at the festival.

We were also able to purchase 50 pairs of shoes and gave them to the child mothers on the day that we washed their feet. They were so excited. Some of them had come barefoot. Yesterday was another day of teaching them to tie dye. We were able to buy 50 t-shirts so that each girl could have a new shirt. Some of them come in the same outfit every day.

Every morning we eat breakfast out on a little patio area in front of the hotel. There is always someone who comes by and needs food. We all brought snacks to eat here so we always bring something out to share. We also give them bananas from the hotel. They never beg really, just stand there until we acknowledge them. One morning, a deaf mute came by. Marianne had seen him the day before in our travels and gave him 5,000 shillings -- about $2.50. He used it to get a hair cut and then found us the following day. He motioned for a pencil and paper. Denee gave it to him and he sat by the side of the road and wrote his story.

He lived in a village too far from Gulu for him to know how to walk home. He had been brought here by a lady who promised him that she would take him to school and then she abandoned him. Now he only wanted to go home. I can't put into words the look on his face and the emotion he conveyed trying to tell us that he just wanted to go home. Denee asked if there was public transportation to his village and Marianne asked Jacob, our driver, what it would cost. All it took was 20,000 shillings or $10. Our team paid for his ticket and Jacob went to purchase it and took him to the bus station.

Several times, we've seen a man come by in his wheelchair. At least once, we fed him breakfast. He was very appreciative. Today, he came by again and Marianne felt lead to go talk to him. When she did, we found out that he had leprosy. Jacob confirmed this. He said that he was a good man who used to have a job and could pay for the medicine needed to keep the leprosy in check. He does have a home but no way to earn money for food. He eventually lost his job and could no longer pay, so now the leprosy is beyond help. And the sad thing is, he had no clothes. He had a sheet of plastic to cover his legs. He's lost almost every finger and toe. Our team has purchased two t-shirts and a blanket for him. You don't ever want to see someone who has leprosy that is uncontrolled.

We are so blessed in America. We will all come back more grateful.

7 comments:

  1. He alway makes opportunities for blessings, i am glad He has given you an abundance. Keep blessing who you can and smile when you do, beacause our Father is smiling with you. Keep well, we all miss you.
    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I complain about the dumbest things!! Thank you for sharing. God is working in your lives, those people's lives, and many back home. You have no idea the life change that happens as a result of being Jesus to people in Gulu. Thank you to all who contributed, and those of u who have put your lives on hold for a bigger cause. In eternity, i cannot wait to meet all those who are touched by Baylife's connections in Africa.
    Can't wait to c u all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing amazing things in His name. I'm humbled and thankful to God for you. Blessings Ceri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny as I was reading in the first part of the blog, I wondered if you'd seen the leper man yet. Then I read you did. That was a sad thing to see. Lord bless you as you continue to minister. The sights, sounds and smells are something that will leave a mark on you as you know. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is that your stories have brought me to tears. I just covered my face and wept by the time I got to the end. Tears are still running down my face. Incredible. Thank you, thank you, thank you. God is so merciful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also in tears as I finished the story. You are right, we are so blessed to be in America. We NEED to always remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As well as you communicated, I know that it is never possible to really describe to the fullest the things we learn on the mission field. Life-changing is the only word that comes close to what we feel in our hearts. I too, have cried at my computer (at which I often complain because it's old and slow) realizing that I have absolutely nothing to complain about when others have had so much suffering and fear in their lives. I have been blessed by the things your team has accomplished. May God continue to bless you all.
    Humbled in Him,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete