Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hotel Roma -- and we don't mean Italy

While we are in Gulu, we are staying at Hotel Roma. I believe it is a very nice hotel by local standards. Mary says she feels right at home -- it's just like Kids Camp with mesquito nets. We each have our own room, complete with a bathroom/shower -- no seperation there. Mary is the only one with a shower curtain. Half of us have hot water, although it comes and goes. Two of us have no hot water. I have adjusted to that quite well -- I just view it as my air conditioning.

We have heard from the land. The men are doing well. And Joshua has a posse already. Dave says that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The boys chased down their lunch today and I mean that literally. They chased a chicken and then had it for lunch! Yum yum!

Each night before we leave for dinner, we must drop down the mesquito net and tuck it in under our bed. Mary's net is a lot shorter than ours and she has had a couple of confrontations with it, emerging trapped as a bug in a spider web. But we are all adjusting to the proceedure as well.

Have we talked about time? I was familiar with Central Time, Mountain Time, Pacific Time, and of course, Eastern Time, but have you heard of Africa time? Well, I'd love to explain it to you but I don't quite have it down yet. We meet in the lobby for breakfast and then wait for the van to come get us. 9:00 can mean 8:50 or 10:30 am. And 11:00 can really mean noon. But there is no stress about time either. They are very patient people.

And I know I will not be able to tell you enough about these wonderful, loving people. They greet you so politely. And they sing and dance with such joy. I have been able to see poverty and contain my emotions but to sit and listen to these women worship completely undid me. It is pure, honest, unrestrained adoration and praise.

Yesterday, we had our first time with the girls. There were 37 girls ranging from 12 to 25. Carmelita spoke about Jesus washing the feet of the disciples. That he did it to modle servanthood. And then we began to wash the feet of these girls.

As we began, we saw feet that had been broken and tortured when they had been abducted. These feet have walked in paths that we can not imagine. One young girl was forced to walk on hot coals and broken glass. We saw scars on their legs that we dare not ask about. And most of us prayed silently to ourselves for these girls. And yet they sing.

6 comments:

  1. Watching them sing praises to our Lord must be a wondrous sight knowing what some of these people have gone through. That would probably get to me too. We miss you all and are praying daily for your safety and the encourgement that you are bringing to the girls there. Brenton came to see us today and sends his best wishes to you, too.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind knows of what man can do to each other but my heart cries just the same. I know your love of these girls will show and will make that lasting impact on their lives. Remember those scars of pain but rejoice in their joy as they sing to Him. Keep writing, we miss you.
    EG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, to say the least. I cannot say that I have physical scars that compare to what u spoke of, but I know The One Who took my scars and carried them. He takes theirs also, I pray, as u all love on them and take time for them. God is Good, though humanity can be the total opposite. Keep pressing toward the mark....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading this under Gayle's login. That was a powerful story hearing about washing the girls feet. Lord bless you!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really great to be able to read about the things you are experiencing. It's amazing how the things that hurt us the most are the very things that the LORD uses in our lives to motivate us to praise Him louder and deeper than ever before. I hope to be invited to lunch with you ladies sometime and be able to enjoy your company as well as hear more about how the LORD used each of you. Give each other a hug from me and know that you are in my thoughts & prayers!
    Love you ~ Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I was reading the Hotel Roma and thought I bet nobody complains about the a/c not working. When I read the story about the washing of the feet, I was brought to tears. I don't want to know about what they did to the one girl with the scars on the legs.
    We think we have it hard over here, but people just don't know. We are praying for you.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete