Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mary has a new name

Before I tell you about Mary and her new name, I'd like to tell you a little more about our hotel. First, the people who work there are wonderful. If you have a question, no matter how silly, they are gracious in answering. They are helpful and kind. We have had informative conversations with some of them. And we realize that our accommodations so surpass the men at the land. We are grateful for what we have. But........

It is often an adventure staying there. Last night, the power went on and off several times in the evening. It surged dim to bright several times. Then it was on for quite a while. Until about 11:30. And that means no fan. Can I tell you that it is really, really hot here, even at night. So needless to say, that cold shower felt really good this morning.

Yesterday, our wonderful children's pastor began to attempt to interact with the little children here. It began with her just looking at one little girl about two years old. The little girl ran screaming to her mother. I don't mean yelling -- I mean horror movie type screaming. Really all of the kids have acted the same. Only two times so far have any of us been able to hold a baby -- Marianne and Denee. I was allowed to have one little boy touch my face and take off my glasses. But Mary, well, she can't even make eye contact with them.

Today was Mary's day to teach on parenting. She had asked the mothers to bring their children so there were several more than we have had so far. When the van pulled in, the children began running into the building, screaming MAZOONGA! Loudly! So we've decided Mary now should be called Scary Mary.

But to be fair, she has great popularity with the girls. She taught them a great game that they have taken to amazingly fast. It is called Mary Says. I believe in the US, we call it Simon Says. They are great at the game. She has played it each day.

The girls did their first tie dye project today. They took right to it. They have been so attentive as Marianne taught them. They are really excited about the possiblity of using this skill to make a living.

We learned that here in Uganda, the men must pay a dowry when they want to marry a girl. Today, one of the leaders, Miraim, told Mary that she was worth many cows because of the gap between her two front teeth. Scary Mary is worth much!

6 comments:

  1. There is a young lady at hotel Roma that accepted Christ when we were there. Here name is Susanna. I would appreciate you guys seeing if she still works there and give her my regards and see how she is doing.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so great. Isn't it funny something that people spend lots of money in America to "fix" can be found desirable elsewhere. Perspective, huh? Keep up the good work, our heart are w/u all. And whomever can hold a baby, hold one for me, plz!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your updates. What a great experience for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe...I don't think Mary so scary. She always carry for me and carry for you. I never werry when I'm with Mary. If you querry Mary, she will not tary, because she carry for erryone. I love Mary. She's not scary. I marry Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnna,
    I love your updates. I just told Larry about her new name, Scary Mary (in Kids ministry) and now we also have Scary Larry in youth. We need to get a scary Harry for adults.
    Please continue the updates, they are wonderful. Got an email from Tom today, has a story about a cobra.
    We are praying for you, Jody & family

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always amused by the culture differences and the locals' reactions. We have a very young friend ministering by himself in a village close to Nigeria. So far he has been given a wife and children by a tribesman that desired a new wife and family, taken a bucket shower in a dark room that he thought was a bath (learning from the screams of a woman who walked in on him that he was standing in the middle of her bed pouring her drinking water on himself) and joined a group of men trying to down some birds with slingshots, only to be attacked by the tribesmen because the bird he chose to shoot at happened to be their sacred bird. I'm sure before your time on the Dark Continent ends, you will experience many more "culture" experiences. Just don't take any potshots at any birds! Love you all and am praying for you always.
    Blessings,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete