Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Road We've Traveled....

Jono, Mary is sitting here beside me and wants you to say hi and that she wishes all of you were here. It is wonderful.

I am sorry we haven't posted before today. We woke up Sunday morning and drove many, many hours on the wrong side of the road. I wish I had the right words to share the exprience of the road from Entebbe to Gulu. Let me try to paint a picture for you but it is something you must experience to understand completely.

First, the lane markings are only a suggestion. And the road is really not two full lanes, only 1 and a half lanes. If a vehicle is traveling slowly, they pull over and drive on the shoulder. If a vehicle is traveling fast, or is carrying a wide load, or just wants to, it drives down the middle.

Then add in that there are hundreds of people walking to and from everywhere, crossing the road at will. Toss in a few hundred motorcycles, taxis really, that are parked all along the road -- aimed at traffic actually, prepared to dart out at a moment's notice. Add in hundreds of bicycles that are really wagons toting everything from people, to furniture, to 6 foot long bundles of sugar cane, hod, or bundles of any sort, all of this happening at once while our driver drives on the wrong side of the road.

I've learned that horns are really another form of communication here. They can tell you kindly to move to the side because I am coming up behind you at 60 miles an hour. Or they say MOVE OUT OF MY WAY NOW!!!!! Horns are used in conjuction with the turning signal and or headlights. The addition of a turning signal says I am not moving over. And the headlights flashing, well, I haven't quite figured that out yet. I know it is not warning you that a policeman is ahead because there are no speed limit signs, traffic signals, and I have yet to see a policeman that isn't on foot.

The trip from Entebbe started at 10 am and included the oil change, and the ten miles or so of road under construction, and this requires a whole 'nother set of driving skills. Have you ever seen anyone ski the bunny slopes, swerving back and forth to avoid the bumps? Well this is how BOTH SETS of drivers approach each other as we go over hugh speed bumps. You just hope that your swerve compliments the other driver because no one stops. May I share that half of our vehicle was on Dramamine.

After 7 hours or so, we arrived and went straight to our first IDP camp where we watched the children dance with such energy and joy. It was worth the trip. We then went to visit the safe house. The children there welcomed us with song.

My time on the internet is about up so I will close for now. I hope to post ever day or so but we have had some problems with losing power for hours. We are all well and thanking God for this time and opportunity to serve him.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. Sounds, umm, like an adventure to say the least. And adventure in grace, hope, and being close to the people who are close to God's heart! Watch for God, He is everywhere and doing amazing things. Luv and Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, World Travelers! The road sounds like it was an initiation experience!! I remember some crazy travels like that when we went to Rwanda and Tanzania. Driving is a whole other business, for sure. I am thinking of you often throughout the day. May you continue to rest in God's strength as you journey on with Him. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were going to say that, after 7 hours of driving, your driver realized that he had been driving south...instead of north. And yes, I too, get irked when people who think they know how to drive decide to encroach on the wrong side of the pavement with the expectation that the rest of us will simply relinquish the entire highway to accommodate their defenseless driving skills. But, by far, the most frustrating individuals are those that simply insist on strolling down the highway while carrying all that "hod". If I were them, and I hod hod the opportunity to transport some hod from one location to another, I would have hod one of my friends who hod a vehicle with enough space for my hod (and whatever hod they also hod) give me a ride to where I hod to be. Surely, someone who hod hod experience transporting hod hod to have hod a vehicle to carry the hod..... You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We love hearing from you. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geesh, you allowed me to relive the exciting ride! For us it was in reverse, Gulu to Entebbe but the same experience. Thanks for the update. We are praying for you, the Village and the kids. Enjoy each moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnna, I am so excited for you, what a great journey and learning experience. Patty said you are a wonderful writer and I have to agree, blessings!

    We miss you and are praying for you and your journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnna, sounds like us in Israel. We were about one inch from the other cars on the side of us. All I could think of was, glad it's not my insurance. Keep up the updates!!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete